Thursday, February 2, 2012

What's For Dinner Tonight? Crock Pot Green Chile Stew

Crock Pot Green Chile Stew


This is very easy to make and we always have plenty of leftovers.  A New Mexico staple, you can't go wrong with green chile stew.  Make it your own by adding in your favorite veggies.  This is what I use:




1 pound of meat (I use ground turkey. You can use ground beef, stew meat, or chicken)
2 large potatoes, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 carrots, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 green chiles (depending on how hot you like it)
1 carton beef broth (I used chicken broth once when I didn't have any beef and it tasted good, too)
Salt and pepper to taste

If you don't live in NM, I honestly have no idea where you can buy green chile.  Maybe your grocery store sells it in the freezer section?  I get mine from my parents' freezer, and they get theirs from Rosales Farms in Socorro, NM.  If you don't have any green chile available, jalapenos would substitute for spice, but would not provide that yummy green chile flavor.


Directions:

Brown the meat.



Wash and chop up the potatoes.  I leave the skin on because, well..why not.  I have no clue if this is how you dice potatoes, but here's what it looks like when I'm done.


Chop up the carrots.  I did large chunks.  You can do whatever you want.  I usually don't add carrots, but I had some, so I thought I'd throw them in.



Peel and chop the garlic.



Chop the onion.



Peel and chop the green chile.



Put everything in the crock pot and mix it up.

Add the broth.  I put the whole carton in this time, but sometimes I only have a couple cans handy.  If that's the case,  I just add what I have, then add water until it covers all the ingredients.


I still added water this time, too, because I wanted a little more broth.


Add salt and pepper.

Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.  You basically have to cook it long enough for the potatoes and carrots to soften.  I didn't get this started until about 2pm, so I put it on high and it should be done by dinner time.  If I started it in the morning, I would have cooked it on low.

Serve with tortillas.  I like to eat it with cornbread sometimes, too.  My husband likes to put cheese in his.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment