Thursday, February 2, 2012

Meal Planning is for the Birds


I really like the idea of meal planning. I’ve tried it, but it just doesn’t work for me at all.  I really can’t plan even one week in advance because something always happens to mess it all up and then I forget that I had a meal plan in the first place. 

What I do know, which I recommend to others who are as put off by meal planning as I am, is just make sure you buy things at the store that you regularly eat.  Sounds so simple right?  It took me a while, but I finally have a list of things that I make sure to always have in the house based off of the meals we eat most often.  This means I always have the ingredients for dinner at hand, but I don’t have to diligently stick to a strict plan.

Here is an example of dinners we eat:
Lots of combinations of meat, starch, vegetable.  (grilled chicken breasts, spinach, rice, etc.) 
Chinese food (stir fry, egg rolls) 
Mexican food (tacos, burritos, rice)
Pasta
Lasagna 
Turkey burgers


Based on our dinners, this is what I make sure to always have on hand:

In the freezer:
Chicken breasts
Ground Turkey
Some kind of fish (usually tilapia because it’s pretty versatile)
Big bag of frozen stir fry veggies from Costco
Frozen spinach
Frozen broccoli 
Green chile
A few quick and easy frozen meals for lazy days

In the fridge:
Bell peppers
Every color of onion (green, red, yellow, white)
Garlic
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Jalapenos
Zucchini
Squash
Chicken broth
Beef broth
Teriyaki Sauce
Soy Sauce
Stir Fry Sauce
Salad dressing
Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
Cheddar Cheese
Tortillas
Bread
Milk
Butter

In the Pantry:
Rice
Pinto Beans
Refried Beans
Black beans
Corn
Green Beans
Quick Recipe Wild Rice
Variety of Pastas (lasagna, penne, linguini, spaghetti) 
Peanut butter
Honey
Soup (for lazy days)
Cereal, of course
Crackers
Snacks

In my lazy susan:
Sugar
Flour
Brown sugar
Baking soda
Baking powder
Vegetable oil
Olive oil
Vanilla extract
Cocoa
And of course, all your standard herbs and spices. 

I have a fairly small kitchen and limited pantry space, and I still manage to fit all this food in our house.  As long as I have these standards, I can easily make a huge variety of things we like to eat. 

Of course, even with all this food in our house, sometimes we just stare into the kitchen and say, “There’s nothing to eat, let’s get Dion’s.”

No comments:

Post a Comment